Sunday, December 18, 2011

Gingerbread Man Activity

When my schedule permits, I get to do a fun group activity on Fridays with my upper elementary students.

This activity is very easy to grade.

We started off with a digital version of the story about The Gingerbread Man projected from a laptop onto a whiteboard. I used this link from Topmarks - http://www.topmarks.co.uk/stories/gingerbread.htm
The students gathered around as I read and the teacher flipped the "pages." Every time the story read the famous lines "Run, run as fast as you can. You can't catch me, I'm the gingerbread man," we all stood up and ran in place as fast as we could.

Then we sat at their desks and colored, cut and decorated a paper gingerbread man. This would also be fun with real cookies. You can find Gingerbread Men and Women templates for free online. Here is a link for one.

Gingerbread theme activities are especially good if you have a diverse group of students who celebrate a variety of holidays.

No comments:

Post a Comment